May 3, 2019
In this episode, Eric talks with Yanni Neibuhr, a financial advisor for BFG, on how different generations view financial independence and how you should start thinking about retirement in your 20s and 30s.
In this episode:
● Retirement is not something that should be started at 60, it should be started as soon as possible
● Millennials have a different mindset of what independence means and they want to be independent as soon as possible
-- The side hustle- Finding ways to make money outside of a 9-5 job in order to become independent
● Entrepreneurship is growing- a lot of people are starting their own companies, particularly online.
-- The Instagram generation: trying to create their own brands, social awareness
● The greatest generation- many of them had pensions, received social security and saving 10% would have been enough to comfortably retire. It is no longer that way
-- Now it is YoYo- You’re on your own
● Underemployment is high- people are getting working for less than their education prepared them for
● Program where companies match student loans instead of retirement, which is way more valuable for Millennials
● Extra credit: Advice is to start saving as early as possible. Remember that saving is a marathon not a sprint- the sooner you start training, the better off you will be. Don’t rush into anything- there are steps to it and everybody is unique.